Dateline: Friday, August 28th, 2020. Sue & I would like to tell you about what we are doing to make your stay as safe, comfortable and care-free as possible. We know there’s a bunch of stuff to read here. If you’d rather hear about things directly, please call us at (207) 998-4976. Odds are either Sue or Roy (hint – it’ll probably be Sue!) will answer. And as the owners, well, the buck stops with us. You’ll get honest, sincere answers to all your questions and concerns. We’ll do our best to take care of you. Finally, with the below information in hand and the flexibility offered by our small Inn, we hope you’ll decide that you’ll be in good hands with us for your getaway, vacation, honeymoon, elopement or any other purpose for your visit.
Importantly, please know that you must wear a face covering while in the public, interior spaces of the Inn where social distancing is challenging. This is also true at local businesses. As such, please bring a face covering with you for your stay.
SUMMARY OF WHO MAY STAY AT MAINE LODGING, REQUIREMENTS & LIMITATIONS
Currently, there are no limitations on guests visiting from the states of:
- New Hampshire
- New York
- New Jersey
Guests from elsewhere may stay at Maine lodging provided they meet one of the following 3 criteria:
- Have a negative COVID-19 test result on a specimen taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival OR
- Have self-quarantined in Maine for 14 days prior to arrival OR
- Agree to self-quarantine at a Maine lodging establishment for 14 days or the duration of their stay in Maine, whichever is less.
Testing is readily available in Maine. Many more testing sites are coming online in late August, so keep checking the list. As a traveler from out of state, by executive order of the governor, you meet the criteria of “elevated risk”. As such you are eligible for free testing without any doctor’s authorization. The two most convenient locations for guests coming to the Wolf Cove Inn are:
- CVS at 8 Union Street in Auburn (20 minutes east)
- Western Maine Healthcare in Norway (20 minutes west)
- CVS at 111 Auburn Street in Portland (1 hour south)
- These locations have drive through testing. Appointments are required.
Regardless of which option you choose, all guests (except those from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, New Jersey and New York) are required to sign a Certificate of Compliance in order to check in. A couple of notes regarding the Certificate of Compliance:
- We are required to keep the form for 30 days, after which time we will discard the form
- For those who opt for the testing option, please note that we will not ask to see your test results as that would violate your medical privacy rights
If you choose to self quarantine, the requirements are as follows:
- You may self quarantine here at the inn
- You may self quarantine for 14 days or for the duration of your trip if it is less than 14 days
- Guests who self quarantine are allowed to be out and about on the grounds of the Inn and enjoy outdoor spaces and activities in Maine such as sight seeing, hiking, kayaking and swimming, road trips/touring and so on as long as social distancing is maintained
- Guests under self quarantine may not visit local restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, crowded spaces or other indoor facilities where physical distancing can be a challenge, other than for emergency medical care. Nor may guests under self-quarantine utilize public transportation or ride-sharing services
- You must take your meals served by the Inn in your room or outside away from others (aka picnicking). You may also have food delivered to your room from area restaurants, though this must be contactless. To help you with this, we can make arrangements to deliver meals to your room or outdoors at the Inn
For more information on Maine’s phased reopening plans, timelines, limitations and restrictions, you may review them at the Restarting Maine website. Check back periodically as it tends to change with some frequency.
A CLEAN AND HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT, AS ALWAYS
The safety of you and our team members is our highest priority. To achieve that purpose, we have implemented enhanced cleaning and sanitary measures at the Inn. The American Hotel & Lodging Association has, following CDC guidance, developed a new set of standards to ensure the safety of guests and staff. We have fully implemented these standards at the Wolf Cove Inn. Please feel free to read the Safe Stay standards.
In addition to the Safe Stay standards mentioned above, we have a rigorous set of checklists, published by the State of Maine, with which we are complying fully. One checklist is the lodging checklist. The other checklist is the restaurant checklist. Both checklists go to great lengths to keep you and us safe.
To keep you safe, we have always asked our team members to stay home if they feel sick. We have reinforced this policy with them. If you are not well, tell us and don’t come to work. But Sue and I don’t want you to worry about the financial impact to our team that you know so well. We have always had, since we bought the Inn in 2013, a paid sick time policy. Our valuable team knows that if they stay home when ill, they’ll still be paid for the time missed.
CHANGES IN OPERATIONS AND FOOD SERVICE
- Under normal circumstances, we’d greet you with a handshake or maybe even a hug. However, for the foreseeable future, we’ve implemented a self check in and check out process. Details on this are provided in the emails you receive prior to your stay with us.
- When we see you around the Inn, we’ll forego that handshake and instead you’ll receive a hearty, friendly smile. Roy will greet you with “Live Long And Prosper” and the apropos hand sign!
- Our staff won’t enter you room for touch ups during your stay. If you wish to receive fresh towels, let us know and we’ll take care of your request.
- In order to facilitate social distancing, we’ve rearranged the tables in the dining room to give lots of elbow room. We have plenty of space to keep you socially distanced!
- We’ve eliminated self service aspects of our food service. Everything is still available. However you’ll be asked to request things you used to get yourself:
- Ice and ice buckets
- Breakfast fruit and baked goods courses
- Toast, butter and jams/jellies
- As well, instead of having afternoon fresh baked cookies available in the dining room, you’ll find them packaged in the slot for your room in the foyer where you found your self check-in materials.
MODIFICATION TO DEPOSIT & CANCELLATION POLICY
During these times of unease, we’d like to give you some peace of mind when you choose to book with us. As such, we’ve amended our deposit and cancellation policy:
- Our deposit policy has been reduced from 50% deposit to a one night deposit,
- If you cannot join us per your reservation, your stay can be rescheduled or changed to a Gift Certificate towards a future stay without penalty,
- For those not rescheduling or taking a Gift Certificate on cancellation, we’ve reduced our cancellation window from 14 days until arrival to 3 days until arrival before you deposit is retained,
- We’ve also reduced the service charge from $50 to $25 for cancelling outside of the new 3 day window,
- If you are ill, or required to self-quarantine preventing your stay with us, cancellation service charges are waived.
This policy modification will remain in place until such a time as we feel the world has returned to some level of normalcy.
WHAT IS ASKED OF YOU
In order for you to help us and other guests stay safe:
- The State of Maine requires that all guests wear face coverings while in public spaces where social distancing can be a challenge. As such, we ask that guests wear face coverings as they enter the building and in the public spaces inside the Inn. Note that wearing of face coverings also applies when frequenting area restaurants (though not while eating) and businesses.
- To the best extent practical, please practice social distancing while in and around the Inn.
- If you don’t feel well before arrival, please stay home, but let us know you aren’t coming.
PLAN YOUR NEXT ESCAPE WITH US
Although you may not be able to join us right now, we are here and happy to help you plan your next getaway to our “little bit of Heaven on the lake.” It’s always helpful, especially in challenging times, to have something to look forward to! Our central location offers you close access to a myriad of activities, including activities on the lake, hiking, waterfalls, covered bridges and much more. Or simply enjoy relaxing by the lake or enjoying a glass of wine by the fire pit at sunset. Let us know how we can help!
Wishing you safety and peace,
Your Innkeepers, AJ, Sue & Roy